Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Osho: "Courage" Part 4 - To Be True

(Cover) Courage: The Joy of Living DangerouslyMy series on Osho's bookCourage: The Joy of Living Dangerously continues. I am still in the first chapter, "What Is Courage?"

Everybody in the world wants to be true ...

So what stops us? Recent events in my own Real Life bear heavily on the question of falsehood. In fact, these circumstances are the main reason I started reading Courage. On the one hand, I was not being honest about my thoughts and feelings. And later, when my actions began to better reflect my thoughts and feelings, I wasn't honest about my actions.

Why are you afraid? What can the world do to you?

My biggest fear has not been what the world will do to me or think of me. My biggest fear has been the certain knowledge that my "truth" would hurt others.

My responsibility is toward my heart, not toward anybody else in the world.

Many would disagree. Most of us have been raised to shoulder our responsibilities toward others and bear them stoically through our lives, even to the grave. Perhaps such self-sacrifice creates stronger families, communities and nations. Perhaps the denial of self is healthy, making us stronger and more righteous. Perhaps it honors God.

Your responsibility is only toward your own being. Don't go against it, because going against it is committing suicide, is destroying yourself.

And what of my responsibilities toward my family? Toward my community? How dare I put my own happiness ahead of another's?

Just living is not always living. Look at your life. Can you call it a blessing? Can you call it a gift, a present of existence? Would you like this life to be given to you again and again?

Thus we come around once again to the "pursuit of happiness". Embedded in the foundation of the American State, do we dare admit to ourselves that we have no idea what it means? Or have our aspirations become the helpless pursuit of Duty?

No comments: